Yesterday I got a package with Mister Donut Pon de Lion moon cakes from Taiwan – right on time for Mid-Autumn Festival, which is dated September 27th in 2015. Many thanks to my friend who send them to me!

While she also supports my addiction for Mister Donut Products, she also helped me to get more interesting moon cakes other than the normal plain ones which can be bought in Chinese supermarkets all over the year. The moon cakes come in three different tastes: Matcha green tea with red bean paste and Mochi filling 抹茶紅豆麻糬 (green), Mango and Milk 芒果牛奶桃山 (yellow) and Cantonese style with red bean filling 廣式鳥豆沙 (brown).

They look cute, and taste like “normal” moon cakes: not too sweet and a little salty. So if you like moon cakes, just give them a try.

Mister Donut Moon Cake box 2015...
Mister Donut Moon Cake box 2015…
...containing 9 moon cakes...
…containing nine moon cakes…
... with three different tastes.
… with three different tastes: Matcha, mango and Cantonese style bean paste.

Aside from eating moon cakes, Mid-Autumn Festival is the only occasion aside from Chinese Lunar New Year, when we always meet up with Chinese friends, family and many other random Chinese, Hong Kongers and Taiwanese at a restaurant and celebrate together. The whole event is organized by the Austrian Association for Taiwanese Culture and Language. Everything comes down to people being happy that they can meet Chinese friends they only see once a year at the very same event. And eat together, A lot.

The last few years they handle the event as follow: you go there and pay the fee, which includes a drink and all you can eat. Furthermore, it also includes one lottery ticket, each with a different number. These lottery tickets are only needed after dinner.

Our Mid-Autumn Festival lottery tickets 2015
Our Mid-Autumn Festival lottery tickets 2015

So, after dinner, the hosts hold the lottery, with many different presents. While they prepared many household objects, like flower vases, flat irons, moon cakes or fruits, they also always bring gift certificates for super markets, and lai see (red envelopes) with money in it. And of course you always hope your number will not be drawn out of the head out of the champagne bucket when the price is only a shopping basket or outdated electronic gadgets. You are desperately hoping that your number will be drawn out when they hold up one of the few red envelopes filled with cash. This year, we both were lucky and one a cake mold (I wanted to buy soon anyway) and a 20 Euro coupon for an Asian supermarket nearby. So all in all you could say we both ate for free this year.

Our prizes in 2015: cake mold and supermarket coupon.
Our prizes in 2015: cake mold and supermarket coupon.

This year, about 180 people joined the event, about 15 Austrian guys, 3 Austrian women and many Chinese, Taiwanese and Hong Kongers. So as you can see, we Austrian girls are definitely shorthanded here! Oh, and just at the same event last year, I was asked if I was happy I could eat Austrian food at a Chinese/Taiwanese/Hong Kongnese event… Doh!

How do you celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival? Do you also join an event? And do you like moon cakes?

Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋節, also called Moon Festival, is celebrated in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Vietnam. It is a harvest festival similar to Thanksgiving and celebrates the end of the fall harvest. The festival is celebrated on the night of the full moon of the 15th of the eight month of the Chinese Han calendar, and is therefore celebrated between the beginning of September and early October.
Mister Donut Moon Cakes and Mid-Autumn Festival 2015

13 thoughts on “Mister Donut Moon Cakes and Mid-Autumn Festival 2015

• September 28, 2015 at 5:42

Your Mr. Donut mooncakes look delicious. They all sound good. I wouldn’t know which one to choose.

Tonight my neighbor and I walked up the hill to see the supermoon lunar eclipse. It was a beautiful sight. You should be able to see it tomorrow. In Austria it starts at 2:11 am on September 28.

• September 28, 2015 at 10:08

Nicki, all of them taste really good. Luckily they are so small, that I could share all three of them with my friend. Mr. Panda does not like them too much, therefore he has not ate mooncake this year yet.

And you know what? I just came back from Japan, am suffering because of the time difference even after five days… and overslept! So I need to wait for Moon Festival 2033 to see a red moon with eclipse again. 🙁

• September 29, 2015 at 6:34

I love Mister Donut! Saw their shops everywhere in Bangkok when I was there this past summer.
    BTW, I thought people in HK are referred to as Hong Kongers? Never heard of Hong Kongnese. I could be wrong, though.

• September 29, 2015 at 9:07

Mister Donut is one of the reasons I might end up with diabetes. And as much as I love their Pon de Ring donut, I am so glad they do not have a store here in Austria. 😀

And sorry for my German English, it is either Hong Konger or Hong Kongese, but not my English version of a German version of the word. This happenes, when I write something in the middle of the night when I am already too sleepy. I’ve changed it in the text.

• October 1, 2015 at 5:02

I’ll take a mango mooncake, please!

It’s strange, for as many Chinese-Americans as we have in LA, I don’t see much about the Mid-Autumn Festival. This is the first year I’ve even heard about it!

• October 1, 2015 at 10:42

Before we started dating I have never heard about it before. And even when we went to these celebrations, nobody could explain to me why we actualy celebrated together. It was all about meeting friends and eat lots of food only. All I know about it is from the internet.
      Also I didn’t think that mooncakes are something special because they sell them at Asian supermarkets all year long. The only special things are my secial flavors ones I got these year – and the Mango one is by far my favourite. :9

• October 2, 2015 at 13:05

Wow, the mooncakes look amazing (and probably taste nice too). Please post me some. 🙂 With the festival over I’m now looking for mooncakes on a reduced price. You know in Hong Kong these little things are often overpriced for what they are.

• October 5, 2015 at 14:06

The mooncakes were great, and the mango and green tea one were really nice for a change. I don’t like the normal ones with egg inside, so I just had to finally find some different ones this year. And you are right, they are sometimes too expensive, I hope you could find some on sale. I always do the same with Christmas cookies every year. 🙂

• October 7, 2015 at 2:42

I got to give you a virtual high five for being on the ‘team egg-less mooncakes’. You are one of the few people who I’ve spoken to who doesn’t like them either.

You know you can get those diabetic mooncake these days and they taste so much better. They are just like the traditional ones, but lighter and come without eggs.

• October 7, 2015 at 14:08

Yeah, it was really about time that someone started to produce tastier ones. 😀

• October 7, 2015 at 14:05

Yes, they were so tasty, even my mom liked them. And she almost doesn’t to try anything from me anymore because I already brought home some really creepy things haha.

Yeah, the endless circle of moon-cake gifting. To be true, I do the same with the ones I don’t like. And I am sure that some even trough them away after some time because they don’t want to eat time, but time to re-gift them is already over.
      Sometimes I give them to my friends who don’t know about these and am like “Hey don’t you want to try some Chinese sweets?”.