This is one of the things that grossed me out the most when we started to date and later live together: toilet paper all over the apartment. Before I used toilet paper exclusively in the toilet for which I thought it was intended to be used. Every time I saw it in some room, it remembered me about toilets. But how wrong could I be?

Like the multifunctional kitchen rag Timo from Crazy Chinese Family and I already wrote about, toilet paper, kitchen rag’s BFF, is almost more useful, as it practically can be used all over the house and can be stored in every room. Here some visual examples where to put it from our apartment:

Toilet paper in the bathroom.
Toilet paper in the bathroom.

Toilet paper on the dining table next to tissue papers.
Toilet paper on the dining table next to tissue papers.
Toilet paper in the bedroom on the nighstand.
Toilet paper in the bedroom on the nighstand.

Toilet paper on the desk next to the computer.
Toilet paper on the desk next to the computer.

How I thought it has to be used:
– On the toilet, as toilet paper

How it can actually be used:
– To blow one’s nose
– For cleaning if you spill anything everywhere
– Clean a large surface if you are too lazy to get a rag
– Clean the table if you are too lazy to get a rag
– Clean your face if you are too lazy to get a rag
– Use it as a support plate while eating
– Secondary usage: on the toilet, as toilet paper

IMG_20150320_152922 KopieSo it is actually like a disposable kitchen rag. But never use too much at once, or else it would be wasteful!

When I ask for the reason they use it everywhere, I get the same answers all the time: it is cheap and practical. Doh!

Mr. Panda and his dad actually swap information at which store and when toilet paper is on sale. If there is a good bargain, they go to the store several times to buy as many packs as possible. There is only one thing that bothers me: they do not care about the quality, and sometimes they get the worst, most scratchy paper which is sold. I refer to it as ‘Super Scratchy 3000’. Last time he actually got more than 20 packs which are now stored in every free corner in our home. At least we only need to buy toilet paper once a year, but I still cannot completely get used to it being around all over the house.

What do you think of using toilet paper all the time for everything? Do you also do it or do you prefer tissues just like me?

Kitchen rag’s best friend: Toilet paper

10 thoughts on “Kitchen rag’s best friend: Toilet paper

• August 2, 2015 at 23:29

Oh how I hate toilet paper everywhere. Wherever I go I our apartment I see those toilet paper rolls just as you described. It is just used for everything in case the kitchen rag is not available…
    Thankfully we have never bought such huge supplies of the paper, wouldn’t know where to store it 🙂

• August 2, 2015 at 23:42

I got really creative because most of the space in the storage room was already taken… under the bed, on the closet, in the wardrope closet unter our coats, and I even fit a shelf in the toilet where we tower like 8 packs or so. xD

• August 3, 2015 at 5:45

Eeeewwwww
    Thats really gross…

• August 3, 2015 at 6:22

To me, toilet paper is still paper. Therefore, I’ve never considered it gross when it’s used outside of the bathroom.

• August 3, 2015 at 11:42

Yes, I also got used to it. But sometimes a certain brand still has that typical toilet smell, then I still do not like it in any other room. Gladly we found a brand with a neutral smell 😀

• August 5, 2015 at 0:23

Hmmm. I am a super neat person. I don’t like clutter. So toilet paper out and about would really bother me.

I don’t find it inherently gross, and I’ll use TP for my nose if necessary, but when I have a SERIOUS cold or the flu, it’s so scratchy it takes the skin off my nose. So I spring for the super soft Kleenex. In pretty boxes.

We have a bunch of rags in our linen closet which Andy bought. I use those for spills, and paper towels for the serious cat or dog messes. TP would never cut it!

• August 5, 2015 at 10:20

I decided that the toilet paper wasn’t worth arguing about. So we put nice, cute looking tissue paper boxes next to toilet paper in every room.

In HK they sell boxes with different designs where you can put your toilet paper in. But I don’t want even more stuff to lay around the house. 🙁

• June 18, 2016 at 15:11

There is a reason that they are called toilet roll. However, in Cantonese there is virtually no distinction between toilet roll and tissue paper so I guess people don’t care how they are being used. Unless of course you are referring to toilet roll in slang (i.e 抆屎紙, which literally means wipe $hit paper), but not many people do that for obvious reasons.

• June 20, 2016 at 22:34

So that could be a reason why they use it for like… everything around the house D: